Wednesday 29 June 2011

Part 10: Gallivanting in Galilee

Galilee was "mostly awesome with brief periods of terrible".  Being someone who needs time alone during  high-paced 10-11 hour days with people constantly does not always bring out the best in me.  When we arrived in Caesarea I was thirsty for alone time.  Anticipating a morning full of lectures and ruins I was pleasantly surprised when we were given an hour free time to explore the ruins and baths (not that I don't enjoy the lectures, I do, I just enjoy them when I'm not so full of other things). 

  At first I decided to stay with the majority of the team to explore but soon found myself combing the beach for Sea glass.  Those of you who know me well know that I can spend hours and hours and more hours just walking up and down the beach collecting these beautiful little treasures.  I know a lot of people don't understand what is compelling about "broken glass" so I thought I would explain the significance it has to me.

A few years ago I was walking along Rebbecca Spit on Quadra Island collecting beach glass when my eyes were opened to a story:

Imagine a perfectly shaped aqua blue bottle.  Its filled with something so beautiful you cannot explain it. Then the bottle gets smashed into millions of little pieces all with sharp edges and the beautiful contents are poured fourth.  Everyone knows to stay away from broken glass, it cuts and destroys causing small or devastating destruction.  But something happens when you place the broken glass in the sea...it begins to soften.  The longer the glass stays in the ocean the softer and more refined the glass becomes.  It no longer cuts or destroys instead it becomes smooth and soft.  It is not lakes or springs or wells that cause the glass to change, its the ocean. 

As you might have guessed this story is about us.  We were made beautiful and made to be filled by God and all that He is.  But we became broken and in our brokenness we hurt others and cause pain.  It is only when we return to the ocean of God and His love that our soft edges become smooth.  We cannot redeem ourselves and no other source can redeem us, it is only the work of God.  May you not be afraid to be plunged into the depths of His love, or to be tossed around in His grace knowing that He is softening you, restoring and redeeming into His beautiful creation. 

And after that little sermonette I cannot help but include a favorite quote from Augustine for you to chew on:
"Even if the vessel is broken, you [God] are not poured forth."

And that is why I collect beach glass, because it reminds me.  Reminds me of who I am and who God is.

A second massive highlight (which was also a fun surprise) was going to Mt. Carmel.  This is the supposed ground where the Carmalite order began.  Many of the Church Fathers and Mothers who I like to read come from this order such as: St. Theresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, Brother Lawrence.  The major component of their practice that I resonate with is the heavy emphasis placed on contemplation (hence my incredible need for processing/alone time).  The grounds were beautiful, the view was spectacular and the chapel simple and pure. 

We ended the day with a swim in the Sea of Galilee, which for those of you who don't know is actually a lake filled with fresh water.  Well this post has seemed to take on its own theological agenda, and I'm going to leave it that way and fill in the rest of the stories of Galilee in another post.  Tomorrow we head to Samaria.

May you begin to feel and understand the vast depth and expanse of his redemptive love...
have a good sleep team

No comments:

Post a Comment